Update of 10 March 2020
China shipped 50 tons of vitamin C to Wuhan
The approach of the Chinese authorities and current scientific studies fully support the Swiss Biohealth Clinic’s approach to vitamin C infusions. China currently purchases vitamin C on a large scale on the world market. (1,2) The country is currently conducting several large-scale studies. First positive data on the treatment of corona patients with high-dose vitamin C infusions (IVC) have been published. At Zhongnan Hospital, Wuhan, patients receive 24 g of vitamin C daily intravenously for 7 days. (3,4)
Acute organ failure, in particular lung failure (acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS) is the key mechanism for deaths from 2019-nCov. ARDS is characterized by a rapid release of free radicals and cytokines as well as significantly increased oxidative stress, which can lead to death in severe cases. The early use of high-dose antioxidants, especially vitamin C, therefore plays a key role in the treatment of these patients. (5,6)
When sepsis occurs and there is a strong increase in cytokines, neutrophils accumulate in the lungs and destroy the alveolar capillaries there. Clinical studies have shown that vitamin C can effectively prevent this process. In addition, the vitamin helps to eliminate alveolar fluid by preventing the activation and accumulation of neutrophils. In cases of extreme physical stress, for example in athletes, vitamin C has a positive influence on the duration of a cold. (7)
The most important effects of vitamin C at a glance:
- Antioxidant, inactivates reactive oxygen species (ROS)
- Increases neutrophil phagocytosis and chemotaxis, influences the migration of macrophages
- Enhances the proliferation of T- and natural killer cells
- May increase the production of antibodies
- Improves the function of the endothelial barrier and thus strengthens the mucous membrane barrier (8)
Since the prevention and treatment of increased oxidative stress with large doses of antioxidants is pathophysiologically consistent, it is obvious to apply them in pandemics with a potentially fatal outcome without having to wait long for pathogen-specific vaccines and drugs, as is the case with the current 2019-nCov-epidemic. High-dose IVC has been used clinically for several decades. A recent National Institue of Health (NIH) expert panel document clearly states that it is safe and without major side effects at a dose of 1.5 g/kg body weight (9-11). Most deaths from coronavirus are caused by pneumonia. For over 80 years it has been known that vitamin C is of great benefit to patients with pneumonia (3,9, 12-15). Vitamin C is an effective prophylaxis against pneumonia. (16,17)
The Japanese College of Intravenous Therapy (JCIT) recommends IVC for acute viral infections (influenza, herpes zoster, colds, rubella, mumps, etc.) and diseases that are related to a viral infection (e.g. sudden deafness or Bell’s Palsy). In adults, the infusion is administered at a dose of 12.5 g for early-stage disease with mild symptoms and 25 g for moderate to severe symptoms. IVC is usually administered once or twice daily for 2-5 days without interruption, with or without general treatment of the viral infection. (18)
Dr. Richard Cheng, a Chinese expert in orthomolecular medicine emphasizes
“An early and sufficiently high dose of intravenous vitamin C is essential. Vitamin C is not only a typical antioxidant, but is also involved in killing viruses and preventing virus replication. The importance of intravenous vitamin C in high doses is not only at the antiviral level. It is the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) from which most people die in coronavirus-induced pandemics (SARS, MERS and now NCP). ARDS is a widespread end path leading to death”. (19)
Some experts warn against drawing conclusions too quickly from current studies and question the effectiveness of vitamin C infusions. (20)
In our SWISS BIOHEALTH CONCEPT, however, vitamin C infusions are of great importance. We have long been aware of their benefits in promoting wound healing and strengthening the immune system (21-26). Therefore, our patients receive these infusions daily during their stay in our clinic. Thus our patients are well prepared for the SARS-CoV-19 virus, especially in immunological terms. Our employees are also currently receiving these infusions on a weekly basis.
First prospective pilot study of the Swiss Biohealth Academy completed
The Swiss Biohealth Academy recently completed its first prospective pilot study on the scientific evidence for the Swiss Biohealth Concept.
The statistical evaluation of the collected health data yielded an excellent result. There were also first indications that the treatment has a positive influence on mitochondrial function and telomere length. The mitochondria are of central importance for the vitality of an organism, the telomere length is associated with biological age.
We will report in detail in a forthcoming newsletter.
The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (SFOPH) changes its strategy
The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health has been defining a new strategy since Monday, 09.03.2020. Containment through investigation and isolation of cases and quarantine of contact persons is no longer effective and absorbs resources that will be needed for the serious cases and those at particular risk.
Further lessons have been learned from the cases that have occurred so far. Often the symptoms are mild and are not recognized by the patients as COVID-19. Tests for infection with SARS-CoV-2 are now handled restrictively in order to save resources. Only patients who meet certain criteria will be tested (see below). Patients who do not require medical treatment should be placed in voluntary self-isolation without testing.
Test criteria for persons in Switzerland:
ONLY patients who meet these test criteria are tested:
- Acute respiratory symptoms (cough, breathing difficulties) and/or fever
AND one of the following criteria:
- severe symptoms (hospitalization emergency), e.g. bilateral pneumonia, ARDS
- persons with an increased risk of complications (particularly vulnerable persons)
- Health professionals in direct contact with patients who work in a health facility
- staff of old people’s and nursing homes with direct contact to residents/patients
- Additional epidmiological criteria
Stay in affected areas outside Switzerland 14 days before the onset of symptom Close contact with a confirmed case
All other persons who do not require medical treatment (good general condition, mild symptoms) are not tested and remain in voluntary self-isolation/home isolation until 48 hours after the symptoms have subsided, provided at least 10 days have elapsed since the onset of symptoms. (27)
1. “COVID-19: China retailers and suppliers report surge in demand for Vitamin C supplements”, 09-Mar-2020, Guan Yu Lim; https://www.nutraingredients-asia.com/Article/2020/03/09/COVID-19-China-retailers-and-suppliers-report-surge-in-demand-for-Vitamin-C-supplements?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright
2. “Vitamin C crisis as China buys too much and cuts supply;”http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3073816
3. Gorton HC, Jarvis K., The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing and relieving the symptoms of
virus-induced respiratory infections. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1999 Oct;22(8):530-3.
4. Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, Qiu Y, Wang J, Liu Y, Wei Y, Xia J, Yu T, Zhang X, Zhang L. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet Lond Engl. 2020 Jan 30;
5. Cheng, R; Hanping S, et al., Early Large Dose Intravenous Vitamin C is the Treatment of Choice for 2019-nCoV Pneumonia, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Febr 16,2020
6. Fowler III AA, Kim C, Lepler L, Malhotra R, Debesa O, Natarajan R, Fisher BJ, Syed A, DeWilde C, Priday A, Kasirajan V. Intravenous vitamin C as adjunctive therapy for enterovirus/rhinovirus induced acute respiratory distress syndrome. World J Crit Care Med. 2017 Feb 4;6(1):85-90.
7. Hunt C et al. Vitamin C and its application to the treatment of nCoV Coronavirus Int J Vitam Nutr Res 1994;64:212-19. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n09.shtml
8. Nabzdyk CS, Bittner EA. Vitamin C in the critically ill – indications and controversies. World J Crit Care Med. 2018 Oct 16;7(5):52-61.
9. High Dose Vitamin C and Influenza: A Case Report – ISOM [Internet]. [cited 2020 Feb 9]. Available from: https://isom.ca/article/high-dose-vitamin-c-influenza-case-report/?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0
10. Saul AW. Nutritional treatment of coronavirus. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, 16:6, Jan 30, 2020. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n06.shtml
11. High-Dose Vitamin C (PDQ(r))-Health Professional Version – National Cancer Institute [Internet]. [cited 2020 Feb 9]. Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/vitamin-c-pdq
12. Gander and Niederberger. Vitamin C in the handling of pneumonia.” Munch. Med. Wchnschr., 31: 2074, 1936.
13. Hochwald A. Beobachtungen über Ascorbinsäurewirkung bei der krupposen Pneumonie.” Wien. Arch. f. inn. Med., 353, 1936.
14. McCormick WJ. Have we forgotten the lesson of scurvy? J Applied Nutrition, 1962, 15:1 & 2, 4-12. https://www.seleneriverpress.com/historical/have-we-forgotten-the-lesson-of-scurvy/
15. Slotkin & Fletcher. Ascorbic acid in pulmonary complications following prostatic surgery.” Jour. Urol., 52: Nov. 6, 1944.
16. Slotkin GE. Personal communication with WJ McCormick. December 2, 1946
17. . Peters EM1, Goetzsche JM, Grobbelaar B, Noakes TD. Vitamin C supplementation reduces the incidence of postrace symptoms of upper-respiratory-tract infection in ultramarathon runners. Am J Clin Nutr. 1993 Feb;57(2):170-4.
18. Saul A, Yanagisawa A, Hospital-based Intravenous vitamin C Treatment for Coronavirus and Related Illnesses, OMS, February 2, 2020
19. “Can Vitamin C prevent and treat Coronavirus?” https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=228745
20. Wei Li, Nobuyo M, Beck M, Vitamin C Deficiency Increases Lung Pathology of Influenza Virus – Infected Gulo-/-Mice, The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 136, Issue 10, October 2006, Pages 2611–2616
21. Yelin K, Hyemin K, et al., Vitamin C Is an Essential Factor on the Anti-viral Immune Responses through the Production of Interferon- α/ β at the Initial Stage of Influenza A Virus (H3N2) Infection, Laboratory of Anti-oxidant Immunology and Vitamin C, Department of Anatomy, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110-799, Korea
22. Hickey S, Saul AW (2015) Vitamin C: The real story. Basic Health Pub. ISBN-13: 978-1591202233.
23. Carr AC, Maggini S. Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients. 2017;9(11). doi:10.3390/nu9111211
24. Li X, Tang L, Lin YF, Xie GF. Role of vitamin C in wound healing after dental implant surgery in patients treated with bone grafts and patients with chronic periodontitis. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2018;20(5):793–8. doi:10.1111/cid.12647
25. Gröber U. Mikronährstoffe: Metabolic Tuning – Prävention – Therapie ; mit 134 Tabellen. 3rd ed. Stuttgart: Wiss. Verl.-Ges; 2011, c 2011. 622 S. (Für die Kitteltasche).
26. Wintergerst ES, Maggini S, Hornig DH. Immune-enhancing role of vitamin C and zinc and effect on clinical conditions. Ann Nutr Metab. 2006;50(2):85–94. doi:10.1159/000090495
27. Amt für Gesundheit, Thurgau, Information vom 9.03.2020
Update of 09 March 2020
Coronavirus – current measures of the Swiss Biohealth Group
With immediate effect, the Swiss Biohealth Group has adapted to the current situation of the corona virus Sars-CoV-2. Preventive measures have been implemented in all areas of the Group and will be implemented in the next few days. A task force involving experts will be set up to keep you regularly informed at both national and international level and to provide you with the latest official and useful recommendations and measures.
For the protection of our employees and patients, the following measures, among others, have come into effect as of today:
- The current vitamin D value of every employee is checked by laboratory diagnostics. We recommend that a vitamin D value of at least 100 ng/ml be aimed for
- To support and strengthen the immune system, each of our employees takes a daily dose of Basic Immune from our Swiss Biohealth Vital product portfolio, a high-dose micronutrient preparation (including vitamin D3, vitamin K2, magnesium, zinc and vitamin C)
- Each of our employees receives a weekly vitamin C infusion
- In our clinic, disinfectant dispensers are freely accessible everywhere, all waste bins are lockable
- All our employees and patients are of course checked for symptoms of the corona virus and the temperature is measured daily
- All employees are regularly informed about currently recommended rules of conduct regarding the containment of the coronavirus. Signs are posted everywhere
We recommend every company to take immediate action to protect its employees and ultimately the population. Particular attention should be paid to strengthening the immune system and preventing infections. We regularly inform you here about the latest scientific findings, current global events and support you in protecting your colleagues and employees with effective measures.
UPDATE 03. March 2020
In situations such as those we are experiencing today it is always important to have a closer look at what’s really going on in order not to panic: according to the German Robert-Koch Institute the Corona Virus Sars-CoV-2 is lethal in about 0,7% of the infected cases. The regular flue we are experiencing every year is lethal in about 0,1 to 0,2%. In other words: in most of the cases the patients recover without showing severe symptoms. (-> Source)
Of course, we should take any measure to stop the virus. However, we should as well never forget the other, much bigger threat: the epidemic of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease which together are killing about 600.000 people every year just in Germany. Even if 100% of all Germans would be infected by SARS-CoV-2, the virus would kill less than 10% of the above number. Therefore, let’s not forget to take care about chronic diseases, which is primarily a matter of lifestyle. To strengthen our immune system should always be our main objective – please check our previous posts/blogs about Corona regarding our recommendations.
A closer look at the situation can reveal a correlation between the epidemic outbreak of the virus and a very low level of Vitamin D3 in the northern Hemisphere at the end of winter. This could explain why there are so many cases in the rich northern part of Italy and no or only very few cases in the much poorer part of Southern Italy, e.g. the city of Napoli, where we assume much higher levels of Vitamin D3 than in the north. At the same time, the poorer countries close to the equator like the African countries do not show high numbers of infected people yet.
In our last blog we have cited some studies about Vitamin D3 and the resistance against flu and other virus infections. This fact is related to the inhibition of NF-kB-Faktor (a protein complex that controls transcription of DNA) in the presence of high levels of Vitamin D3. Therefore, we still recommend a 25-OH-Vitamin D3 (Calcidiol) level of about 70 to 100ng/ml.
Furthermore, we recommend to reduce the stress caused by any EMF (e.g. WiFi or mobile phones), because EMF stress seems to increase the cytocine IL6 and move the organism into a proinflammatory situation (-> Source 1, Source 2). This is especially true in case of frequent use of mobile phones. Any additional infection could then cause a “cytokine storm”. In these days of turmoil, a healthy lifestyle and any measure to strengthen our immune system has become more important than ever.
According to the WHO (-> Source) the following graph shows the increase of the infection in China:
The following graph shows the increase of the infection outside of China:
Finally, the following graph shows the asymptotic curve of the lethal cases:
We are very grateful that yet not one of our patients and none of our team members has been infected by the virus. We still believe that optimum support of our immune system by following the recommendations given in our two previous blogs/newsletters is crucial for prevention. We will keep you updated in case of new information or knowledge will appear.
THE SWISS BIOHEALTH TEAM
UPDATE 29. February 2020
Besides the recommendations in our special newsletter on the corona virus published on 03.02.2020, we also recommend the following additional measures in cooperation with your attending physician:
- The vitamin D (25-OH-vitamin D3) serum level should be at least 100ng/ml. Generally, a sufficient vitamin D3 supply respectively its hormone derivative 1,25-OH-calcitriol protects effectively against viral attacks. (-> Source)
- Basically, all vitamins and micronutrients should be supplemented to a very high level. In case of regional exposure to the virus, contact with infected persons or own immune deficiency, this can be achieved by supplementing the high dose product Basic Immune.
- Furthermore, we recommend the following weekly infusions:
– high-dose vitamin C infusion (2x vitamin C Pascoe 7.5g in physiological saline solution)
– as a separate infusion magnesium sulphate 20% 8mmol 10ml (except patients with renal insufficiency), sodium bicarbonate 8.4% 2ml, vitamin B12 1000mcg 2ml, procaine 2% 2ml, combined in physiological saline solution (-> Source)
- moreover, effective protection can be achieved with HOCL spray and liquorice (see blog post published on 03.02.2020), as well as keeping distance to possibly infected persons and avoidance of mass gathering events. If necessary, additional protection can be provided by wearing a face mask and disinfecting the hands regularly.
If they are too strong, you are too weak!
In general, the old and constantly valid principle is: “If they are too strong, you are too weak!” This means, especially in this precarious period and season, that we have to strengthen our immune system as much as possible in order to defend us against the viruses. Besides the above-mentioned measures and the lifestyle improvements (mentioned in the blog post 03.02.2020), it is advisable to boost our immune system even more by implementing specific stress measures. Exercise with sweating, time-restricted fasting (e.g. 16:8), heat (sauna, infrared sauna) and cold applications (cold showers for 3 minutes, ice baths, cryotherapy) activate the so-called “survival mechanism” on the epigenetic level, which is expressed by activation of the sirtuins (Sir1 to Sir7).
This is in accordance with an article of the Max-Planck- Institute (-> Source) In summary, it can be assumed that sirtuins act as regulators of an universal, ancient program. They are particularly active when an organism requires the mobilization of its survival forces, such as the aforementioned food shortage, but also in many other instances of stress such as cold, heat, infection, burden, etc. If it is possible to activate sirtuins permanently regardless of the stress stimulus, the result may be an improved quality of life in old age.
We will keep you updated about new developments and further measures that might be necessary!